Prayer Guides Course Level I
About the Course
The Prayer Guides Course is intended for those who desire to deepen their prayer experience and feel called to accompany others who turn to them for support on their spiritual journey. As part of the course, there will be experiential sessions in which aspects of prayer – forms of prayer, difficulties in prayer, aids to prayer, etc. – will be explored. Presentations on basic skills for leading prayer sessions in different contexts, and on listening skills and relationship dynamics will form part of the course. The Prayer Guides course is, therefore, suitable for a wide range of people: those who work in pastoral settings (hospitals, chaplaincies, prisons, spiritual direction and retreat ministries) and those who realise the importance of prayer in their lives and are seeking a deeper relationship with God and support and encouragement in their search.
The Prayer Guides Course is not intended as an academic programme; the course will be mainly experiential and formative. Participants will be invited to take an active part in spiritual conversation, workshops and small group sharing. It will also include essential reading, intended as a framework and support for the ongoing process of prayer, reflection and growth. For participants, it will offer the opportunity to be nourished by the rich treasures of Christian prayer with particular reference to the Carmelite tradition – and at the same time to explore their own prayer journey and share this experience with others.
There are two levels of the course: Level I (The Foundations of Prayer) and Level II (The Experience of Prayer). Each level can stand alone. You may take Level I and then a break to return to Level II at your own convenience when next it is offered. Level II builds on the modules explored in Level I.
To form people of prayer who are equipped to accompany those who may turn to them for support on their spiritual journey. The course acknowledges other Christian or Catholic traditions of prayer or spiritual formation but draws primarily from lived Carmelite spirituality in preparing course participants to be a prayerful presence in the world.
Aims of the Course
- To form people of prayer in a ten-week course over five months
- To encourage an experience of living and praying with an online praying community
- To encourage intimacy with GodTo broaden an understanding of the variety of approaches to prayer
- To enrich and deepen the prayer life of course participants
- To equip the participant to be competent accompaniers for others in their prayer life and experience
- To encourage learning, exploring and practicing forms of prayer in the Christian tradition
- All graduates of the course will have a deep and comprehensive understanding of the experience of prayer in a way that is enriching and empowering
- An understanding of prayer as an experience of intimacy with God
- The ability to help people to grow in their prayer and spiritual life
- A deep knowledge of the contemplative tradition of Christian spirituality
- An appreciation of our core identity as Beloved of God, informed by insights from Carmelite saints
- A deep knowledge of the history of Carmelite spirituality, its biblical roots and where it sits within the history of Christian spirituality and in particular contemplative Christian spirituality.
- Gaining a deep knowledge of the life, writing and teachings of significant Christian mystics: Teresa of Avila, John of the Cross, Therese of Lisieux, Elizabeth of the Trinity and Brother Lawrence. The candidates will have appropriated the disciplines they illuminate so compellingly: silence, solitude, community, contemplation, presence, prayer, listening, discernment, hospitality and integration.
- A portfolio of resources on prayer and spiritual formation which can be a source for personal spiritual enrichment, e.g., journaling, images, symbols, etc.
The Prayer Guides Course is open to all who wish to deepen their experience and knowledge of prayer and to explore the journey of prayer with others. Requirements for the course are:
- Commitment to one’s prayer life
- Heartfelt desire to draw from the rich tradition of Carmelite spirituality in deepening one’s prayer experience
- Attendance (we understand that life does sometimes get in the way)
- Prepare a short reflection paper each month
- Keep a learning journal
- Keep a portfolio
- Level I must be completed but if you would still like to participate in Level II please contact the administrator
Registration and Next Steps
To register please complete the registration form.
Any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Proceed to payment
One off payment
Over 2 monthly payments
(For alternative payment options, please call us on 07849 596572 or email: email@example.com)